Tuesday, February 27, 2007

A Boat by Any Other Name

The other day I took a large empty box (courtesy of IKEA) and made it into a boat for Morgan. It was easy. I put it on the floor and drew waves around it. Then I drew a compass inside and a steering wheel. She was thrilled. (That's right, Mastercard, there ARE some things in life money can't buy... creativity!) I asked her to name her new vehicle: "What do you want to name your boat, Morgan?" She replied: " Boatie!" So the "S.S. Boatie" made her maiden voyage on our living room rug. It was thrilling.

This is not the first thing Morgan has named. In fact, her naming conventions are rather predictable. She adds an "ie" suffix to the name of the item and WHALLA! It has been named. If Morgan were present in the garden of Eden, you would hear words like: Earthie, Adamie, Snakie, Lionie... You get my driftt.

It should have come as no surprise then last night when we she named her play restaurant... you guessed it... "Restaurantie". Sometimes for special treats, Dan and I will have dinner in her room on her little table, like a restaurant. Since Dan is out of town and I was desperate for filling that Daddy shaped void in her little heart, I thought restaurant night should take place. It was a lot of fun. She thought it was GREAT and even ate her veggies a little better than normal. All thanks to "Restaurantie".

I don't know what other creatures or toys may make their way into our home one day, but I know they'll be well loved by my little "Sweetie".

No comments: