Saturday, February 3, 2007

Heart Stopping Good Fun

Many years ago (when I still lived in Maryland) I belonged to a small gym which I frequented several times a week. Almost every visit I ran on a treadmill and I got to run 3-4 miles pretty breezily. (I know this means NOTHING to my running friends, but for me, it's good. So don't laugh, Cathi Schuurmann.)

One fine day I was running on the treadmill and an older gentleman (mid 50s I'd say) ran on the treadmill next to me. I noticed that every time I added speed to my machine, he did the same. I would add a bit more speed and he would follow my example. Out of curiosity, I kept going up and that sadist did the same. It got to the point where I was becoming somewhat winded but my out-of-shape running partner was holding on to the handles for dear life as his legs flew underneath him. Egomaniac though he was, I thought it would be a shame if he had a heart attack on my account.

So my question is this: If I kept upping my speed to the demise of this poor man, would I be liable for his death?

This question came to mind today when I ran at the Wheaton track (it's indoor!) for the first time in months. I had a pretty good pace going but I noticed that men who had been walking or "jogging" decided to start using the "running" lane. Nothing against a healthy workout, but some gentle runners would only be able to keep their breakneck pace for one loop or so. I got the idea that maybe I was the reason for their sporadic workout. Can't let a woman be faster, after all.

So, friends, I'm either a sexist or I'm an accessory to murder. Gonna have to choose the former.

No comments: