Thursday, May 17, 2007

Crazy Cashier

I had quite possibly the most strange encounter with a cashier I have ever had.

Dan and I made a run to Meijer last night. As I put my groceries on the conveyor belt, the cashier was muttering something under her breath. I couldn't make it out, so I said, "I'm sorry. Were you saying something to me?" She looked really irritated. She said, "What?" I told her how this was one of my first times at this Meijer. "Did I do anything wrong?" I said.

Her response was bizarre: "Do you have a guilty conscience about something?" (Enter Twilight Zone music here.)

Huh?

"I'm sorry? Look, I was just asking if I'm doing things correctly." I was a bit confused at this point and considered that my cashier may not be working with a full deck.

"You're fine." she said. But her body language was telling me otherwise.

I should have stopped there, but I'm a glutton for punishment and asked if I could purchase Aurora trash stickers. She didn't know what trash stickers were. "I'm not from here," she offered.

No, no you're not. Tell the mother ship hello from Earth.

No comments: