Saturday, May 19, 2007

Who's on First Base?

Dan and I have been married 7 years this August. I can't believe it has flown by like this.

I am, at heart, a pessimist and somehow I have managed to really, really enjoy something for 7 years. I'll be the first to admit that he does the bulk of the forgiving work, but still, it's nice. I'm pretty darn crazy about him. He makes me laugh with his incessant mime impersonations at the most inopportune times... like church. And he's got a heart of gold. He's definitely a keeper.

In case you were afraid I would keep on with this love dribble much longer, you can take a deep breath because I am about to divulge our achilles heal. Somewhere along these 7 years of communicating with Dan I think I may have aired my opinions too much. Dan is hesitant to commit to an idea unless I give my okay. Now this sounds like a good position to be in, I'll grant that. But in reality, our conversations become somewhat cyclical. Let me illustrate:

Emily: "Dan, were you planning on mowing the lawn soon?"
(Translation: Mow the lawn.)

Dan: "Do you want me to mow the lawn now?"
(Translation: Now?)

Emily: "Well, it's just getting a little long. I was wondering when you were planning on mowing it."
(Translation: Yes, now.)

Dan: "I can mow it now if you want to. But my parents are here and I wanted to spend time with them."
(Translation: Now?)

Emily: "I'm trying to not tell you what to do, but to ask if you had considered the lawn."
(Translation: Yes, now.)

Dan: "Well did you want me to do it today? I can't do it until Tuesday otherwise."
(Translation: Now?)

Emily: (Trying to phrase the same question differently) "You indicated to me early on in our relationship that you wanted to be in charge of the lawn. I'm trying to not nag you (too late!), but simply inquire when you were planning on cutting the grass soon because it is growing long."
(Translation: I don't remember offering our yard as a sacrifice to Greenpeace. Let's mow it before our neighbors call the HOA.)

Dan: "Well my parents are here. Can I do it Tuesday?"
(Translation: If you get off my back today, I'll do it first thing on Tuesday and throw in a back massage for good measure.)

Emily: (For the love of Pete.) "Yes. That's great."
(Translation: Yes, Tuesday is fine. And don't forget that back massage.)

I'd write more but I have to run. Abbott and Costello called. Something about needing new material.