Friday, May 25, 2007

Solicitors

Holey Solicitors, Batman. Since we moved in here (scarcely two weeks ago) we have averaged one solicitor every other day. I mentioned this to Dan and he wasn't too pleased about it. But yesterday, when he was home, TWO solicitors came and he was so fried that he nearly ran out DIRECTLY to Home Depot to find a "NO SOLICITORS" sign. He was ticked.

A few days ago, I saw a solicitor at the door, heard the doorbell ring and quickly hid Morgan upstairs. "Morgan, let's play a game," I encouraged her, "Let's see who can be the quietest. Let's be as quiet as a mouse so the guy at the door doesn't know we're here." I got a distinct Corrie Ten Boom "Hiding Place" vibe. No, I'm not a sacrilegist. I don't mean that tritely. I very, very much dislike solicitors and felt that I had to protect my overly friendly daughter from answering the door.

Part of the problem is that our new house offers sidelights flanking the front door. This gives great light in the foyer, but it also allows people to peek inside which has often occurred. Not to much privacy there. I still maintain that this house is great and, for the most part, has been "move-in" condition, at least compared to our last abode. But I'm going to have to get some kind of blinds or shutters for those sidelights. Feeling a little exposed.

Laughing... I do recall one VERY funny solicitor back at our last house. Dan and I were watching "Lord of the Rings" in our living room which was situated right next to the front door. A boy scout came and knocked at our door. We turned down the volume to pretend we weren't there. Then we heard a voice with the authority of the FBI: "I know you're in there and I know you're watching a movie." We laughed so hard that we couldn't help but open the door, albeit sheepishly. The little guy popped his head into our house to see what we were watching. "Lord of the Rings? This is the best part. I love this part," he piped in. We quickly bought the cheapest item we could find on his list, an $11 container of some mediocre popcorn.

On a lighter note our current solicitors, anticipating rejection, have delivered schmeals so fast that the Micro Machines fast talker (John Moschitta) would have to update his resume.

No comments: