Saturday, May 5, 2007

Yard Sale


Today the brooding sky threatened to rain on my yard sale. I wasn't looking forward to today's potential rain clouds. So I did something that I've been doing a lot more of lately: I prayed. And I did something else which sounds ridiculous. I invited God to our yard sale.

I'm really not trying to sound trite. If it's coming across as "Chicken Soup for the Soul"ish- that isn't my intent. It's just the truth.

The reality is that I need to have the yard sale today or else take ALL this stuff with me to either a) our next house or b) a friend's house who would host a rain date yard sale. The work alone from moving the stuff would probably cause me to not have the yard sale at all.

So in the wee hours of the morning, I looked into the warm but gray sky and asked God to intervene.

The weather was beautiful. I think I remember two VERY mini rain splashes and then it was done. The temp was in the mid 60s and a light wind made it feel slightly fall-ish. About mid-afternoon, a kindly old gentleman came to me and said, "This weather is beautiful; God cares for you." I looked him in the eyes, "He certainly does."

I was also able to enjoy the sale with my friends Kris Wise, Ann Vandermeer and Stephanie Disselkoen. It was great. Additionally, my neighbors came and helped and blessed us with lunch for the kiddos, good conversation and they helped tear down. It was a great day of fellowship.

I think the highlight of our sales was when one little boy wanted to buy two golf clubs that my friend Susan was selling. She wanted him to buy the whole set, but he only wanted two. He asked how much it is. She said, "I'll give the WHOLE set to you for five dollars." The boy and his father looked amazed. They smiled, said thank you and paid gladly. It was nice to see one man's trash (literallly- the clubs were going to be trashed) be useful to another.

In the end we made about $110, which was pretty good. But the fellowship was worth a lot more.

Would I do another yard sale? Maybe. But we're pretty tuckered out. I'd have to wait a decade or so. ;)

No comments: