Tuesday, May 8, 2007

A Tisket, A Casket

I saw something disturbing this evening. Apparently Costco (the bulk food place) sells caskets. As in funeral caskets.

On their home page, they have a "funeral" link. Considering that one associates Costco with bulk, I found it somewhat disconcerting that this button should be present on costco.com. I can't imagine what they were thinking. I know death is inevitable, but featuring it on a bulk food site was creepy. I can only imagine the discussion the execs were having when they sold this into their line:

Exec 1: "You know, Bob, considering that we sell bulk butter, cookies and soda, those folks are BOUND to die earlier than most."

Exec 2: "Good point, Bill. Where are you going with this?"

Exec 1: "I have this wild idea...hear me out, Bob. What if we sold... oh nevermind. It'll sound absurd."

Exec 2, intrigued: "No, go on. Go on."

Exec 1: "Well, alright. It's pretty zany, but I'm thinking we should sell caskets."

Exec 2: "Caskets?"

Exec 1: "Yes. And if we have people buy them in bulk, think of the savings for our customers. It's always about the customers, Bob. They come first. We could even throw in a box of cookies or something for the first 100 customers to show our appreciation."

Exec 2: "Cookies, huh? Alright. That sounds great. Get the ball rolling."

Exec 1: "You got it. I'm dying to see the new casket line. hehe. I crack me up... "dying"..."

or... even creepier...

Customer: "Hello? I'd like to order 5 caskets by Friday. I'm pretty sure 5 people I know are going to kick the bucket by then."

Well, I'm done with my rant. I'm going to hit the sack now. Note that I said hit the sack. Not kick the bucket.

No comments: