Saturday, April 26, 2008

Let Me Eat Cake, Part II



I got the book in the mail.

I went right to the Caramel Cake page.

In the name of my friend Andrea, who is visiting from world travels, I made the cake. She was my excuse to make it that day.

It was just as I remembered it. The soft candy frosting looks unpenetrable compared to everyday cakes. But then, just as the fork digs in, it splinters into big chunks of soft candy. Candy + Cake. Yummers.

I'll beat you to the punch and give you the recipe. Just this once:

Caramel Icing:
1 LB. bos of light brown sugar (about 2-2/3 cups)
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
7 TB. evaporated milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Important: Have cake and layers ready before you make frosting!

In heavy saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring to boil over medium heat. Stir well. Allow frosting to boil gently for 7 minutes. Remove from heat and cool for 5 minutes.

Beat icing with wooden spoon for 2-3 minutes until it thickens. You'll begin to see the pan at the bottom when you scrape the wooden spoon across it. Quickly spread icing over cake.

If icing becomes too hard, warm gently over low heat and add a spoonful or two of evap. milk. Dipping a knife into very hot water helps to spread it.

No comments: