Thursday, April 10, 2008

Me and My Morgan

Appeals for more graham crackers:

"Mom! I demand a graham cracker!"

"Mom! I accept a graham cracker!"

___________________

After setting the timer for 10 minutes, letting Morgan have a time out and then setting the timer for ANOTHER 10 minutes, Morgan still did not finish her task of putting away Legos. She decided to redecorate the living room with the gazillion pieces that we have (grrr) and so I decided to let her undecorate with them.

Finally, in a moment of frustration, I decided to do a challenge with her: I would clean up all the ones on the floor and she would clean up all the ones on the couch. "I'm going to win," I egged her. She started to work feverishly and then she stopped, "You're going to win, Mom! You're going to win!"

Ugh. My plan was backfiring. Parenthood.

6 comments:

andrea said...

We all want our kids to be smart, right; until they start out out-wit us! Someday, she'll use that negotiating skill to win a multi-million dollar energy contract!

Renee said...

I love reading your blog, Emily. The way you write about Morgan is so...touching? I've been reading some of your older posts, and after I read them, I just want to go and love the heck out of my girls. You're reminding me of how much JOY there is in parenting. Thank you.

You're Morgan's a smarty. :) I love how her mind works.

Sittintall said...

Ughh...I hate when the plan backfires! My daughter has a tendancy to be overdramatic when it comes to getting hurt. I always do something goofy, or tell her to "shake it off," (while shaking all silly) to distract her. Needless to say, she usually barks back, "NO, I can't shake it off!" and storms away crying. Such is life.

Short Stop said...

My plans have been backfiring like a '79 Pinto since I became a mother.

Parenthood. Gotta love it!

Kris said...

It's like Survivor..outwit...outplay...outlast...

Beth said...

My plans have been backfiring lately too. I think that I just have to realize that they are smarter than me!
Beth