Thursday, April 17, 2008

Spoiled



On the way to the fertility doctor the other day, I was struck by how afraid I was.

I thought of my own child and how I don't want her to be afraid. I want her to be glad and secure.

In fact, each year at Christmas, I tell myself that I won't overdo presents for her, but as the day approaches, I find myself picking up last minute gifts here and there. In the end, she always has a bit more gifts than she knows what to do with. I love to lavish her with goodness.

And so it was with this sentiment that I prayed the most unusual prayer I ever have to God:
"God, spoil me."

I felt a twinge of guilt for praying this. But again my thoughts went to my daughter who has a way of pleading in her eyes when she asks for frosting on her graham crackers or an occasional toy in the store that would make her day. I don't always comply, but when I do, it's with sheer happiness, watching her eyes grow in amazement.

"Spoiling" isn't really a biblical concept, I realize. The more staunch theologians will slap me on the hand for ignoring God's rich gift of life I experience every day. But when I read the Psalms, I see a poet who begs God to shine His face upon him. And what child doesn't melt when their parent grins at them?

I said my prayer again, this time with more resolve: "God, spoil me."

8 comments:

Short Stop said...

I hope He spoils you to pieces, Em!

Anonymous said...

What an awesome post, em! I pray that He spoils you, too. I love you.

Smooch.

Kris said...

Amen.
K

Sittintall said...

I hope you get spoiled too.

Unknown said...

Definitely right there with you...you deserve to be spoiled after all you've put up with! Especially that oafish husband! I mean, me. Heheh.

Janice said...

I am hoping you get spoiled and that you, in turn, can spread your wonderful "spoiling" that is evident in creative, smart, beautiful Morgan.

Renee said...

This is beautiful, Emily.

I too am praying that you get spoiled. I believe our Father loves to give good gifts, and I'm praying that He lavishes them on you.

Have you made that caramel cake yet? I've been thinking about it ever since that post you did. Mmmmmmmm...

Unknown said...

Amen and Amen!