Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Let Me Eat Cake


Today I did something that I thought I wouldn't do. I bought this cookbook. I saw it in Williams Sonoma and flipped through it.  I don't know what caused me to even pick up this book. 


However, even my love of cake would not induce me to purchase another cookbook. I'm trying to use the ones I have.

Unfortunately for me, this cookbook had a recipe for Caramel Cake. Ugh. I'm toast. Caramel Cake takes me back to my great-grandmother's house about 20 years ago. She made this amazing, better-than-sextuplets Caramel frosting. When you cut into the cake, the frosting would crack all over the top into big chunks of soft candy. 

I tried to reproduce this recipe from one that my mother gave me years ago. I think I gave up after 6 tries. The recipe involves a candy thermometer and lighting-quick frosting methods. I was pretty persistent, but after one batch which took about 2 days of soaking to come loose from my pan, I figured that I would just have to enjoy this recipe a la memories.

I came back from Williams Sonoma today still thinking about the book. So I went on Amazon and read the reviews. Everyone raved. And then, I read someone who raved specifically about the caramel cake. For the love of great-grandma, I bit the bullet. 

My husband will be glad to know that I did save a bit of dough by buying it on abe.com. (Also, Dan, if you promise not to make fun of me for adding to my collection of cookbooks, I will bribe you with Brew Shop dollars. Deal?)

My book should come in in about a week. Betcha I know what we're having for dessert.

You know, I'd love to hear what family recipes my bloggy friends enjoyed growing up. Anyone game for sharing?

7 comments:

A girl who loves said...

I think the cake ought to be the bribe. Yum. I have been trying to recreate a pumpkin cake/log now for the longest time. No luck yet.

Sheryl said...

I love cupcakes!! My favorite

My grandmother (Oma) is the most ridiculous baker I've ever known. She used to just have this whole cabinet dedicated to baked goods that were just out of this world. My all-time favorite of hers are her black and white brownies. Just so moist (hate that word! ha) and yummy!! She'd even give us some for the beach when we'd go spend the day there drinking down salt water :)

Unknown said...

Ah, brew shop dollars...the magic words to make me forget just about everything else.

Notice I said "just about" -- could never forget you, baby! :)

Mercy said...

You can never have too many books, and that includes cookbooks!

My grandmother used to make the best bread pudding... soaking the bread and baking it in a big round pot that I still have! I'm not sure if it was the taste or the labor of love that I like the most. You see, Mama had a bout of phlebitis when she gave birth to my mother that left her bed ridden for two years and partially disabled for the rest of her life. Standing or sitting for long periods of time made her legs swell up and very painful. All this while making creative use of the meager supplies that she had available for her labor of love. Oh, now I'm inspired to make it, although I would never be able to replicate hers!

Short Stop said...

oooooh, cakes. The caramel cake sounds delectible!

Hmmm....honestly, my mom was an average cook...nothing really yummy, and my grandmother (mom's side) couldn't boil water. I guess you could say I'm a first generation cook.

BUT, Jason's mom is AMAZING, and I have gotten some wonderful recipes from her and Jason's grandmas and aunts. A few faves: london broil, hot milk cake, roast beef, and pumpkin pie. Mmmmmm!

Sittintall said...

All these comments about food is making want to make something. Honestly, I'm not much of a cook or baker. If I want something I look online. I wish I were better at it though. I love watching the food channel and watching them make such beautiful food. Happy cake baking.

Kris said...

Yummm. We'll be over as soon as the oven timer rings!

My family favorite...taco salad. I'm finding that means something different to everyone, so maybe someday I'll blog about it!
K