Friday, August 22, 2008

Dan. Cake. Good.



I ate my words. 

Gladly.

My *awesome* husband raised the bar on birthday cake goodness. Dan found out from my friend Steph about my favorite bakery, Hahn's, which is in Geneva. It's a good 25 minutes from my house to get there. 

So he left work early one day to drive there and pick up the cake he ordered. But they had closed.

So he had his mother and father pick it up on a stealth mission while I was getting my hair cut the other day. (In answer to your question: Yes, they were in town. They did not drive ALL the way from Iowa.)

Here's how he told me:

Dan: "Happy Birthday, Hon! Here's your cake!"

Emily: "Thanks, babe! It looks beautiful."

Dan: "Don't you want to know where I got it?"

Emily: "Dominick's, right?"

Dan: "Nope. Steph said you liked Hahn's."

Emily: "YOU WENT TO HAHN'S??? YOU GOT ME A CAKE FROM HAHN'S?? ALL THE WAY IN GENEVA?" (More freaking out and laughing.) Then he told me the story about how it took a group effort to get it.

It was only 6:30 in the morning and as far as I was concerned, I felt really loved on my birthday. The rest of the day could be boring and I would consider it a good day. 

Thank, Hon. I ate my words gladly.


_________________________

Post Script:

Emily: "You know you raised the bar on my birthday cake expectations. You can't go back."

Dan: "Oh yeah? Well you raised the bar on my Christmas expectations by getting me that brew set last year. What are you going to do THIS year to top that?"

Emily: "Easy. You're getting a baby." *wink*

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah for Dan!!! He did well! The cake looks delicious. Hope you had a great birthday....all day. :-)

Short Stop said...

That pic of Dan is priceless. SO Dan.

The cake looks scrumptious.

The Hallelujah chorus will take on a whole new meaning this Christmas...

"For unto us a child is born..."

I can't imagine a more wonderful Chritmas gift for Dan than that precious little baby girl.

Sheryl said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

I'm not a chocolate fan, but that cake DOES look super tasty :)

Have a fabulous day

Sittintall said...

Wow, that cake looks divine! I'm drooling just looking at it. Happy Birthday!

Jenni S. said...

Oh my goodness my mouth is drooling at that cake!!! I love the convo you included between you and Dan - sweet and funny with a touch of the wry. My favorite kind of story.