Thursday, August 14, 2008

Hormones

Being a woman is so weird. 

I'm talking hormones.

I'm thinking specifically of pregnancy hormones, but just being a woman qualifies one for some moody good times at least 12 times a year or for years on end when one's pituitary says "it's go time".

Today I was enjoying a day with my family and cleaning Lego.s (covered in drywall dust... don't ask) when *bam* I was on the Estrogen Express. There was weeping and tiredness and I felt the weight of the world on my shoulders. I tried to talk myself through it, but there's really no logical reason for the crying. 

Then I was angry. 

I was angry at myself for crying for no reason. I told myself to "snap out of it" which only made for... you guessed it... more tears. Weird.

Several years ago, I went through a period of sorrow. Legitimate sorow. As I rounded the corner of the second stage of grief (anger), I remember being more angry that my emotions followed the stupid stages of grief than being angry at the circumstance. I remember trying to will myself out of the stages' order. (Laughing... can you imagine?) This only made me more angry and more prone to following the stage's great wisdom.

But for all its craziness, there was some comfort in knowing that I was walking through orderly steps of grief rather than this helter skelter hormonal "just because" crying.

On a lighter note, I think life in America would be a LOT more interesting if we got a pregnant woman in the presidential office. We could call the "Oval Office" the "Ovum Office" and enjoy the whims of her whirlwind emotional adventure. What's more, our national security would be in stellar shape since enemies wouldn't be able to detect a pattern in our security decisions. 

While we're dreaming, let's have pregnant, weepy women run air traffic control and moody teenagers head up the department of transportation. Now there's a good time to be had.

Whew. I feel better about myself already. Crazy pregnant president.

3 comments:

Sittintall said...

Riight...that's a crazy thought. I love it "ovum office!" Glad you are able to have a sense of humor now. Don't be so hard on yourself. There are a ton of emotions going on right now that you aren't necessarily able to control. Give yourself a break, that little baby is taking a lot of your energy.

PS Maybe there's some kind of event they could put pregnant women in in the olympics (craziest hormonal woman award?)

Janice said...

oh can the prednisone people be in charge of something? we have very similar moods swings out of nowhere, brings me to tears just hearing a doctor say i have to go back on it. but if i could run... the weather? all cable tv? airport security?

Jenni S. said...

I think pregnant women should run ad agencies. There wouldn't be a skinny woman in any ad and we could see some very interesting promotional campaigns... It might make TV more interesting at least.

Oh you make me laugh with your sense of humor!