Monday, August 25, 2008

Home Edjumication

This year I decided to do some basic home education with Morgan to prepare her for kindy-garten. Today I had a hard time not laughing at her efforts. 

Sounding out the word "two":

Emily: "Morgan, what sound does the letter 't' make?"

Morgan: "m-m-m-m"

Emily: "No, Sweetie, that's 'm'. What does 't' sound like?"

Morgan: "hu-hu-hu"

Emily: "C'mon, honey, you know this one..."

And then Morgan started making this weird combination of sounds that I can only liken to a steam engine leaving a station. Something like this: "Pshttsshht." 

Her look was completely serious. I stifled laughter. 

Emily: "No, Morgan. 'T' makes a 't-t-t' sound."

Care to guess what the "w" sounded like?

_____________________

We're also learning how to recite and spell her home address. After having her trace the numbers and letter of our street address, I had her write them freehand on her own paper. This is the dialogue that followed:

Morgan: "Mom, there's tape in the way of this 'c' so I'm just going to make it a small 'c' and not a big 'c'."

Emily: (Trying to keep it fun for a first try...) "Okay, sweetie."

Morgan: "And I'm not going to do small letters. I don't want to. I only want to do big letters."

Emily: "Follow the example I gave you, Sweetie."

Morgan: "I just want to do what I want to do," she said confidently as she drew her letters with little swirls and curly-ques inside them. Very girly. And a bit unreadable.

And then, with lightning speed, I found that she had taken her kiddie scissors and cut up the address into pieces and taped them on the wall. Proudly.

And that's when this momma decided it was time to call it a morning. :)

Teachers deserve SO much praise.

5 comments:

Short Stop said...

BAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That is completely hilarious. I can't believe she cut them up and taped them to the wall. So, she's still into scissors, huh? OMG, Ems. SO funny!

Lauren said...

Yeah, that's about how pre-schooling Steven went. It makes me a little nervous for his Kindergarten teacher this year... :$ He still draws "S" for Steven from the bottom to top.

Travis said...

Aidan picked up all of his letter sounds in about two days watching the Leap Frog Letter Factory.

Some of the kids at daycare brought it in. He loved it so much we got the Talking Words Factory and he's been sounding out words and reading ever since.

They are worth checking out if you're looking for some helpers ($9 each on Amazon). You might even get some letter songs lodged in your subconscious.

Sittintall said...

I had a similar experience with Kyra, and had to walk away because I was getting a little frustrated. It was right then and there I figured this mama was not going to be a good homeschooling mom. Thank goodness for the patience of those wonderful teachers!

Jenni S. said...

Oh my gosh, that is SO funny. What are her teachers going to do with her, you know besides love on her? :)