Saturday, August 9, 2008

Soccer Moms, Sucker Moms

Okay, I don't consider myself a doting parent as parents go. I will go to certain lengths to make sure my child is well dressed, safe and healthy. I'll do the appropriate amount of fretting, but I'm not going to get hyper if my child doesn't go the ivy league route or get into honors classes.

Today I learned that I may have to step it up a notch if I want my child to just get some basic fun classes. Basic. 

I innocently picked up a Fox Valley Park District class schedule and found a swim class and ballet class that I thought Morgan would enjoy this fall. Today was the first day of sign-up. I sent Dan to the community center to sign her up.

Apparently a gazillion other parents "innocently" picked up said schedule as well. My dear husband endured an hour long line at the community center for these classes. And get this: we're not even sure we got in. We're on the waiting list for TWO of the classes and in a LOTTERY for the ballet class. A lottery. 

I'll spare you the overly-parental dialogues he had to endure hearing. (Something to the effect of other people's  gifted children and why they had to be placed with the less gifted?)

I was dumbfounded. 

I really don't encourage competition in parenting, but in order to get Morgan into a basic park district class next semester, I am going to have to get up at some crazy hour of the morning to either stand in line or register online. Or maybe I'll camp out the night before. Ugh.

So the question is: How psycho do I want to be?

And so it begins...

4 comments:

A girl who loves said...

You are so cute. register online. It makes the crazies easier. I too had hubby register. Almost all classes wanted NO parent involvement. I chose the ones where I was wanted.

Short Stop said...

So this is what I have to look forward to? Maybe it won't be so crazy here in GR???

You've got me thinking...I wonder what lengths I'll go to? Really. Hmmm...

Jenni S. said...

Wow, I really hope GR stuff isn't this crazy as the kids get older. Of course, if I'm willing to spend all day in a virtual waiting room for Cubs tickets, I suppose I can do something similar for my child's education. I'm all about well-balanced priorities...

Lauren said...

I hate that stuff. It makes me so mad!! competitive moms... grrr... makes you want to just stay home and try teaching them ballet yourself! surely there are online lessons... "For first position see the diagram. Now turn on some Tchaikovsky (sp?)and ..."