Monday, September 10, 2007

'Bucks


It's Monday, but its not.

It started in typical Monday style: Everyone was a little groggy. Dan had to go to work. The week's worth of work promised to be more than enough for 3 weeks, let alone the scant 7 days allocated to it. Monday.

But the weather was a pleasant 66 degrees. We had to go outside. Us Dykstras are big supporters of destination walking. Or destination running. We choose a destination and use our two big feet to get us there. Usually Morgan is stroller bound, but we sometimes let her take a jaunt here or there along the way.

Today I chose Starbucks for our halfway point. It was a no-brainer. I was dog tired but I needed to move; plus it would be sacrilege to do my exercise indoors today- too pretty outside. I figured that I could woo Morgan with a bran muffin and be on my merry way.

We arrived at Starbucks and Morgan caught on quickly that this was the treat. They had no bran muffins, so I compromised and got a fully loaded cream cheese pumpkin muffin. I figure that if you're going to be evil, do it right.

Not three bites into the muffin, the sugar set in beautifully. Morgan began dancing to Starbucks perfectly-marketed-for-their-target-audience music. It began with a little two step foot work. Then she did a combination of jogging in place, twirling like a ballerina, hopping and downright spinning. It was sheer uninhibited dancing. I couldn't be prouder.

Then she stopped and looked at me: "Mom, come dance with me."

Gulp.

Stalling.

Negotiating.

Finally, after realizing that I didn't care WHO was there or WHO looked at me, I mimicked her moves: first the modified ballerina twirl and then some basic jiving. Dang we had fun.

I fell in love with my daughter again and again and again.

Things got a little out of hand after that. Morgan decided to start dancing with cream cheese frosting on her fingers and then some innocent muffin chunks became somewhat embedded in the grout of the floor. I gave her a stern "okay-this-is-where-the-hippie-momma-stops" look.

We informed the staff of our redecoration of the storefront and were on our way. It's not even 10am and it promises to be an okay day.

7 comments:

Short Stop said...

I love this! Morgan is just so HER! She reminds me of her Momma..."I'm me...take it or leave it!" I love it that you two danced together!! What a great memory!

Ohhh, and a cream cheese pumpkin muffin sounds heavenly...never had one of those!!

Sheryl said...

That's a great story Emily! I love that Morgan doesn't care...and in turn, neither do you - and why should you (unless it gets out of control, though)...she is priceless and a real blessing from God!! :)

andrea said...

ahhh...sounds absolutely delightful! And, Starbucks coins itself as a "third place" for you to feel comfortable in--the perfect stage for an impromptu dance-off with Morgan!

Sittintall said...

What a couple of free spirits! Sounds like a blast.

Unknown said...

Awwww...now I want to be home. :(

Kris said...

You two have way too much fun...I'm coming to your house!
K

A girl who loves said...

Now that is living!