Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Thankful



I'm taking a page out of my friend Sheryl's blog for today's entry. She wrote about her experience with September 11th. It's a beautifully written post and I encourage you to read it.

My experience with September 11th was very personal. You'll recall that all the planes overtaken that dreadful morning were from the DC and Maryland airports.

Dan was on American Airlines flight 539 at 6:30am flying from Baltimore to Chicago. He was in the midst of accepting his new position/interviewing at BP.

I was working as a designer in Hunt Valley, Maryland that morning. I remember everyone turning on as many TVs, radios and webcasts to see what was going on. It was dreadful. We thought maybe the first plane had erred in its course; then the second one hit.

I couldn't get in touch with Dan. I called my father, crying, and we prayed.

I was finally able to reach Dan and he sounded confused at my crying; he hadn't heard.

Dan was scheduled to come home a day or so later, but it took much longer, of course. All planes were grounded and rental cars were hard to come by. A coworker was able to snag a rental and they drove back to Baltimore.

Wisely, Dan kept his ticket stub from that day. In fact, this year for our anniversary I gave him a shadow box with a brass engraved plate. It reads:
To Dan
on our 7th Anniversary
Our days are ordained by God.
Love, Emily

3 comments:

Short Stop said...

Oh, Em! I remember so well that Dan was flying that day, and the craziness of him trying to get back home.

What a great gift you gave him this year for your anniversary! God is so faithful!

Sittintall said...

My goodness, I can't even fathom the fear you must have been feeling. Thank goodness for such an awesome God.

Sheryl said...

Wow Emily! I didn't know you were so deeply impacted and involved on that day either! Praise God for Dan's safe return to you!!