Thursday, September 13, 2007

D'oh

In two weeks Dan and I are planning on attending his 10 year class reunion from Calvin College. It's something that he's been looking forward to and since most of his friends are mine (friends by marriage, you know how that goes) it should be a groovy time. Besides, the only guy I didn't end on good terms with at Calvin graduated in 1996, so he won't be there.

Or so I thought. My dear, dear husband informed me this morning that Mr. X actually graduated in 1997 and so he will be there.

I'm ashamed to say that my first thoughts were all looks related: lose weight, get a tan, look like his breaking up with you made your life BETTER. Grrrr. I hate when I become shallow.

Deep breath.

Alright, alright. I'll give him a call and make sure everything's okey-dokey before we see each other at the reunion.

So here's my survey: If you were in my shoes, would you:
1. Get a face life, tummy tuck and nose job.
2. Start noshing on Oreos since it's no use.
3. Wear a costume.
4. Call Mr. X before the reunion to smooth things over beforehand. ("Remember how I said you were a self-obsessed jerk? Well, you aren't THAT bad.")
5. Just go to the reunion and hope that no awkwardness occurs, knowing full well that I'll think of it the whole time and resist being myself.

Oh, and just so you know, I'm doing #4 even if your survey says otherwise. But humor me.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Call him??!! Are you kidding me?? There will be no calls from our phone to ratboy!! You do that, and you'll be giving him the upper hand!! Trust me on this one -- now's the time to play it cool. We're gonna get dressed to the nines, walk into the gathering like we belong there (which, in point of fact, we do), and act as though we haven't given him a second though since the day he broke up with you!!

I know he hurt you, but that was a long time ago. If you want to repay him properly, act like his breakup hasn't left any scars at all.

Then he'll be the only one feeling awkward.

Emily Dykstra said...

Okay, okay. I won't call him.

After all, there's email.

Emily Dykstra said...

And by the way, husband, that's REAL mature of you.

A girl who loves said...

Em-
He should be the jealous one. Look at the arm candy you will walk in with. And the beautiful little girl at home waiting for you when you get back.

No makeup or fancy dresses needed.

You have a wonderful life. His loss.

Sheryl said...

I agree wholeheartedly w/ the husband. NO EMAILS NO PHONE CALLS. He doesn't deserve YOUR apology. Apparently he wasn't good to your or the relationship wasn't healthy and he let you go.

Dan's right - act like the breakup meant nothing and that you are the most happiest woman on earth w/ life right now - which obviously you are!

You are gorgeous, have a wonderful husband and child. Who needs old memories of the boy who was a jerk to you? NO ONE!

5 bucks says he's not even thinking about this at all....

May the Force be with you on this one!

Unknown said...

I amend my earlier statement -- there will be no communication of any kind between you and Ratboy before the reunion.

No telephone, telegraph, email, IM, letters, smoke signals, carrier pigeons, semaphore code, ham radio, sign language, or anything else, real or imagined. So there!

Anonymous said...

i'm with dan on this one... just pretend you barely remember him ("i'm sorry, what was your name again? we dated? really?! oh well i guess it just wasn't that memorable. now if you'll excuse me, my fabulous husband just arrived by Googlecopter and we're going to our weekend home in Fiji! Nice meeting you (get his name wrong here)!") Smile, wave, leave.

Kris said...

Em, I'm with Dan (ps. love the options for getting in touch with him listed by Dan!). I don't know all the situation, but do know that you do not need to EVER do anything to add to your grace and beauty! You are an amazing person and we are all glad to know you!
K

Short Stop said...

Emmers, I'm a little late on this conversation...but I'm with Dan. No need to talk to him in any way...your beauty and life speak for themselves! :)