Friday, September 21, 2007

Good Word, Bad Word

Word I Like: Hork
Why I Like It: Fun to say
Meaning: To chow down quickly
Used in Sentence: "It took me all day to make that soup! Don't hork it down so fast."

Word I Don't Like: Value
Why I Don't Like: Grandpa word. Can't think of any situation in which I would need to say it.
Substitute for word: "Bang for your buck"
Used in Sentence: "Let's buy those bananas. Ten cents a pound is a good value."
Try this instead: "Oooo... cheap bananas! I got a lot of bang for my buck."

4 comments:

A girl who loves said...

My most hated word: Classy. As in: It really looks classy. Those who use it as a description, are not.

Favorite word: Vacation. Which I need the most.

Alternate: Goop. Used to describe most messy situations or things in a kinder way.

Used as: Honey, Get the goop out of your ears. I am trying to say something to you that is important.

Sheryl said...

You're hilarious!

I'm not feeling creative today so I can't quite join in on the fun of words I like.

I could name plenty of words I strongly dislike, but to save those from having to endure my pain, I'll refrain from writing them here :)

Kris said...

I love the word Hork, too. I recently heard the word "shanty" and about peed in my pants laughing. Not sure why, but it struck me as a hilarious word!
K

Short Stop said...

Word I Like: Quintessential
Why I Like It: Makes me sound smart.
Meaning: The perfect embodiement of something
Used in Sentence: "Emily Dykstra is the quintessential wife and mother."

Word I Don't Like: Dung
Why I Don't Like It: Ew...it's gross.
Substitute for word: Poop
Used in Sentence: "Jack, your dung should not be a regular occupant of your underpants."
Try this instead: "Poop in the potty, son."