Tuesday, September 23, 2008

E*Vites

I had some really weird happen last month. 

I sent out two e*vites for two different get togethers. I got two very different responses.

One was for a church brunch/potluck for mothers whose children were about to start kindergarten. I expected 15 people to show up. We had about 30. It was great.

The other e*vite was for a small group of Wheaton play group friends. Most of us had our first children at the same time so I thought it would be fun to have a 5 year anniversary party dinner. I sent out an e*vite for dinner this Saturday. Only three people responded and so far only one can show up. 

My first reaction was to feel *really special* because of all the good responses to the brunch and *really slighted* because of the play group dinner. The two responses to the parties couldn't have been more opposite. 

In fact, last night, this dinner group affected me so that I had a bad dream. It's silly, I know, but there's a little girl inside me who doesn't want to be rejected. You hear?

I thought, "This is ridiculous." So I gave it up to God. I said, "God, this is your party. If you only want R to show up to the dinner, then that's your plan." It took a great amount of courage, but I sent out a follow up email to my friends asking for an RSVP so I could reserve our table. We'll see what happens. 

All I can do is extend the invitation. I sure hope they come.

2 comments:

Jenni S. said...

I gotta tell you, I love parties and get-togethers, but I hate planning them because it really does feel like you're putting yourself out there and if people don't come/respond they're rejecting you. So, I completely understand where you're coming from and I think your attitude is awesome.

Anonymous said...

This is the exact reason why I have decided never to host a home-show party again...you know, like baskets, jewelry, clothes, etc. Tired of feeling rejected when hardly anyone can come. I don't really think it's a reflection on me personally (at least I hope it isn't); I think it's more a matter of busy lives, but it still feels like rejection.

Hope you have a great time on Saturday night regardless of how many people are able to make it.