Monday, September 29, 2008

Lobster Chowder


Today in Chicagoland it is a rainy day. I love rainy days. Perfect for soup.

I'd like to recommend one of my favorite soups: Lobster Chowder. It's from a Cook*ing L*ight book, so it's even more fun to eat. They do a good job of  keeping the right amount of fat and texture to this meal. Bon Appetit!


2.5 cups cooked lobster meat (I like the chunk style faux lobster meat at Mei.jer.)
4 cups chicken stock 
2 bacon slices, chopped
1 cup chopped green onions
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
2 cups diced and peeled baking potato
1 cup half and half
2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 cups corn kernals (I like the canned sweet corn.)

Cook bacon in large Dutch oven until crisp. Add onions and sauté 2 minutes. 

Stir in paprika and cumin. Add 4 cups stock and potato. Bring to boil. Cook until potato is tender, about 15 minutes.

Remove from heat. Stir in lobster meat, half-and-half, sugar, salt, pepper and corn. Cook for 5 minutes.

Addendum: Faux lobster meat is a mixture of real lobster and that fish that they make imitation crab/lobster meat out of. It's really yummy and quite cost effective.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This recipe sounds SO delicious. I'll have to make it. I love lobster, and eat a ton of it when we visit MA. My girls don't understand how I can have it for lunch and dinner, several days in a row. :-)

Short Stop said...

This looks fabuloso, Em. I'll have to try it. I've never used imitation lobster meat (I've never cooked with real either), but I know you have marvelous taste - so I'm gonna try it in this recipe.

YAY! LOVE it when you share recipes! :):)

Anonymous said...

What is faux lobster meat?

Anonymous said...

I mean, if it's not lobster, then what is it?

Jenni S. said...

YUM! Totally trying this and I can't wait to see how it tastes!