Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Goggles


Morgan started swim lessons yesterday. By the look of the photo above, you'd think they went well.

Au contraire.

I could try to find SOME silver lining in the half hour of wet education that she had, but the truth is that she did. Not. Like. It.

My daughter doesn't like getting shampoos so it shouldn't surprise me that when the instructor started the class with, "Okay, everybody put your whole head underwater" there was bound to be some rebellion.

To her credit, she did manage to take up about 20 of the 30 minute class negotiating with the instructor telling him that she was "too little" to be doing this and "didn't want to". I was immensely proud when I witnessed my child slinking--and that's no exaggeration-- slinking quietly out of the pool hoping that he wouldn't notice that his class of 4 had diminished to 3 students.

Fortunately for Morgan, Dan used to teach swim in high school so he spent 45 minutes with her last night at the pool getting her to laugh less nervously around the water. He has the patience of Job, I swear. (Have I mentioned that I LOVE this man?)

I forgot to mention something I did that borders on cruel. After swim lessons, I took Morgan to Toys *R Us to pick out a My Little P*ny toy. The cruel part is that I didn't buy it. I let her CHOOSE it and told her that when she can blow bubbles with her nose under water then we'll rush right over and purchase them.

To my credit, *ahem*, she knocked on my bedroom door this morning and pronounced, "I want those ponies, Mom!" My evil plan was beginning to take effect.

Now I rarely do this, but I'm asking for advice: How do I get Morgan to take the plunge?

2 comments:

Short Stop said...

YOU crack me up, Em. Brilliant with the ponies.

I wish I had advice to offer you, but I birthed two fish. Literally. Jack was swimming in the lake up to his shoulders this past weekend. ALONE!

Jenni S. said...

Sooo, since I'm just catching up, seems like your "evil" plan may have worked!