Wednesday, July 16, 2008

So This is Love

*sigh*

I am so proud of my daughter. Yesterday she allowed me to plunge her under water 4 times at the pool. Just a week ago she was on the National Debate Team for why four year olds shouldn't put their heads in the pool. But today, she is conquering her fears.

There was some strategy to this effort. We found that by throwing a floaty toy about 10 feet away from her in the deep end that she wanted to try to swim after it. I use the term "swim" loosely... I hold her and she kicks. 

Yesterday she threatened to throw it over the deep end rope boundary. I counter-threatened to plunge her under the rope to retrieve it. She thought it would be okay and so we did. Four times.

I thought my heart would burst out of my chest; I was so proud. I had felt Morgan's fear a week ago when she couldn't put her face in the water even a little. And I felt a momma bear's fierce anger when another mother complained about her lagging progress. So when my little girl baptized her fears with bravery yesterday, I wanted to cue the Lion King "Circle of Life" music and hold her high for everyone to see. 

So this is motherhood. This is love.

3 comments:

Jenni S. said...

Way to go Morgan! What a brave girl!

Short Stop said...

Motherhood. In its best and truest form.

She overcame her fear so quickly. Look out, deep end. Here comes Morgan!

Sittintall said...

Yeah Morgan! She gets her toy now right?