Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Pregnancy Observations

Observations I have collected from friends about the difference between and first pregnancy and second ones. If you're expecting your first child and feel totally offended by this post, then I will buy your friendship back with an item from your registry. How's that? *wink*

On Diet and Nutrition:
First: "Oh my! It's says here in my baby journal that I should be eating mangos and broccoli this week because the baby is growing fingernails!"
Second: "Could I have a side of sour cream with those french fries?"

On Registering for Baby Supplies:
First: "Oh, dear... I only put 100 things on my registry... is that enough?"
Second: "Do you think the stroller really needs the fourth wheel? Can't we just reuse the one we have?"

On How Many Weeks Pregnant One Is:
First: "I am 15 weeks and 5 days and 2 hours pregnant."
Second: "My second trimester. I think."

On Due Dates:
First: "I'm due November 15th, but I'll probably delivery early because November 1st is my favorite day."
Second: "I'm due in the fall. Sometime. My first one was late, my second one probably will be, too. Who knows?"

On Weight Gain:
First: "Oh no! I've gained 2 pounds more than I'm supposed to for my second trimester!"
Second: "I can still see my toes. Who cares?"

On Nursery Design:
First: "I had a Winnie theme at first, but now I think I'll go more 'vintage Jack and Jill'. What do you think?"
Second: "Yippee! There's no holes in the crib sheets. Who cares what color they are?"

On Delivering the Baby:
First: "My bag has been packed for 2 months at the front door!"
Second: "Oh wait, Jill... I can't go to the beach with you next week. My calendar says I'm having a baby."

On Baby Cuteness:
First: "I think the baby will have my eyes, but his nose."
Second: "As long as it's healthy..."

On Travelling Post-Baby:
First: "We'll be so busy that first year, everyone will have to come visit us."
Second: "Cool! The kid is portable. Let's travel, dear."

On Maternity Clothes:
First: "I'm 6 weeks and already starting to show, doncha think? I bought 20 maternity outfits just in case."
Second: "Ugh. Fat clothes. Here goes."

If you have any observations you'd like to share, I'd love to hear those, too!

7 comments:

Jenni S. said...

Just wait until you get to your third... :)

Emily Dykstra said...

hahaha... Do share, Jenni... This is the caboose for me!

Janice said...

I am definitely forwarding this to all my friends who had their first this past year... with promises to babysit should anyone be offended. I know I'm looking forward to their second pregnancy a little more now :)

Kris said...

Oh. How. True.

You are right on with this one!!

Sittintall said...

Thank you for the Thursday morning laugh! Love your sense of humor.

Travis said...

Same goes for raising the child.

With Aidan, Rachel lived out of the "What to Expect" books during her preganancy and the first few years.

Kellen's being raised on experience (as best as we can remember) and instinct and he is doing just fine.

Unknown said...

Yeah -- totally get the whole "experience and instinct" thing. After all, these stupid "I had a baby and suddenly I am at one with the universe and am completely qualified to tell other pregnant women what to do" books didn't exist when we were kids, and...amazingly...we all seemed to develop just fine!

What a shock.