Friday, February 8, 2008

Home Art

When my husband and I first moved into our newer home, I had a hard time finding art that wasn't "too"... too traditional, too contemporary, too "not us". I'm artsy fartsy if you haven't guessed already.

I had a couple of prints that we had professionally framed that I no longer wanted, but didn't want to ditch the frames. I worked out a design on my computer first. I wanted to do something in a funky typeface. I didn't want to do a quote that I might outgrow, so I decided to write all the cities that Dan and I have lived either separately or jointly. Then I arranged them on the diptych and scribbled them in with an oil pastel. It was a lot of prep, but it was fun to do and relatively inexpensive. The only cost was a few black pastels and two sheets of mat board.

I'd love to hear your ideas for making your house a home, too.

3 comments:

andrea said...

brilliant!

trevsmom said...

I love it, great idea! Unfortunately, if Dan and I made one of those, it who consist of 3 towns. :-)

Anonymous said...

that's really cool, em.

maybe you can show me how to do that. :)