Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Love

The heart is funny, isn't it?

This summer I didn't want to go to Dan's college reunion. I didn't want to see someone there who had really hurt me years ago. I went anyway and it was no big deal. In fact, several women there encouraged me in my fertility journey. I actually met new friends. Bonus.

Later, I was reluctant to send out some cards to family and friends who I haven't seen in a while. It had info about our family info in it and some tidbits about our life. I was afraid.

But I stand corrected: I am SO glad that I have been able to reunite with family and friends who I have not spoken to in 5 or 10 years. I've received such uplifting emails and letters as a result.

So here it is: When I allow my life to be open to others, there is always a risk of being hurt. But there is also a chance of being overwhelmed by love.

Cast your bread upon the waters, for after many days you will find it again. Ecclesiastes 11:1

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing your courage in being vulnerable, sis. this is a journey i myself am embarking on as well. not easy.

on another note... i totally don't get that Bible verse.

Short Stop said...

I loves you, Ems!

Emily Dykstra said...

Hi, Bex- I love this mysterious verse. Many people think its poetic nature has many meanings.

But basically it's saying: Take something that is precious or necessary to you and be willing to let it go. Give to others. Don't hold on to everything so tightly. After many days, you'll find it again... or the results from your risk-taking.

Love, after all, is a risk.

Emily Dykstra said...

And I love you, Sars. :)

Sittintall said...

I'm so glad you are willing to be vulnerable. It's such a hard thing to do, but like you said - can be so rewarding too. Sometimes even being vulnerable yourself can help someone else in their journey too (or help them to open up too). Thank you.