Monday, July 16, 2007

Blood Draw

This morning I had an interesting event happen: I nearly passed out.

I had to have blood drawn for our plethora of fertility tests. I had blood drawn on Saturday (only a couple vials) so I thought "No big deal. Probably 2-4 vials."

I stopped counting at 8. I think they took 10 vials of blood. The first vein "rolled" and didn't give much. The second one tapped out. By the third try I had had enough.

Oh wait, I forgot to mention the best part: I brought Morgan. Thinking it was a routine blood draw, it didn't occur to me that:
1. I would have a bat for a nurse. "More blood! More blood!"
2. I would have to comfort and entertain Morgan for more than a minute.
3. I would have to assure Morgan that "Mommy was okay" between vials of blood passing between us.

Of course I won't do that again. Near the end of the vials I started slumping in my chair, got very sweaty suddenly and very dizzy. I was trying not to throw up. She called in backup.

A more experienced nurse was brought into the room. Reading between the lines, I think she was chastising the other nurse in "nurse code". It was hilarious. She said things like, "Next time we take this much blood from a patient, we should automatically have them lay down to do it." She used a lot of "we should have..." sentences which, of course, means "YOU should have..." Translation: "Whoa, Nelly! NEVER do that again."

Having Morgan with me probably kept me from passing out. There's something about trying to ACT like you're okay for your child that makes you FEEL okay. That, and the looney nurse, made me get out of there fairly quickly.

Moral of the Story: Bat nurses = bad nurses.

3 comments:

Short Stop said...

Oh my goodness...8 vials. I'm praying for you!

Kris said...

Whoa, that sounds like one trial I couldn't handle! I can't even look at my arm when they take blood. But you are right about the kids helping you through a situation like that. I am not a huge fan of storms and having kids has helped me relax a bit because if I don't...well the idea of God bowling (thunder) doesn't fly as easily.
L

Emily Dykstra said...

Hmmm... that's interesting, Kris. I never thought about the thunderstorm dilemma.