Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Ratatouille


Dan is out of town in Houston, so this evening as I was surfing on the web, I pulled up the trailer for "Ratatouille", the new Disney Pixar movie. Morgan was looking over my shoulder and expressed an interest in it. "Want to see it?" I asked her. She sure did. So we caught a 6:30 showing of it.

Boy was it a great movie. I think Morgan liked it. This was her first full feature film which she sat through in its entirety. We tried this once before with another movie last year and she freaked out. Fortunately we only went to the dollar theater for that venture; we rather expected some sort of disruption and thought it best not to pay full price until we knew she could handle it. So tonight was the big night... the night I determined that Morgan and Mommy can go out on "dates". Girl time. It was wonderful.

Morgan was thrilled from the moment she saw the building. Naturally I couldn't let her first movie-going experience be void of popcorn. I gladly forked over the dough for the overpriced snack and poured the greasy buttery-ish goo on top. We went hand-in-hand into the theater.

The movie is very good. Like a lot of Pixar films, it crosses age boundaries easily. There was a variety of generations present this evening, all laughing easily at the exciting plot and snooty humor.

As a foodie, I enjoyed the movie on another level. I was glad I ate dinner before I came. Terrific.

The movie ended and we walked back to our car holding hands. I felt my daughter's soft little fingers in mine and wondered what age she would absolutely refuse to hold them anymore. Four? Five? I banished the thought. Tonight was special. Mommy and Morgan time. I was acutely aware that we were "bonding" which made me tear up a little.

I should add that Dan was missed. As we left the theater, Morgan saw a family in front of us and started to cry a little, "I want Daddy to come home." I assured her he would come home tomorrow. But this night, Morgan, is ours.

6 comments:

Sheryl said...

Very, very precious blog! You are such a great writer!

On another note, I did enjoy Ratatouille myself! Dad took the whole family last Friday night as a one last hurrah :) Good times!!

Love Pixar/Disney films!

Glad Morgan liked it and was able to sit through the whole thing and enjoy it as well.

Short Stop said...

I am totally bawling. I mean, it...really crying. Yes, I'm hormonal, but your description of your night together was so precious, Em.

I missed this post, not sure why I didn't read it before or I surely would have commented earlier.

Betty Miller said...

Have to smile at the "when will she not want to hold my hand anymore" line.
I started kissing my mom again - as an adult and after I had my own children. I looked at my kids and thought "I never want them to not want to kiss me"....and I just carried that thought over to my mom - why would she NOT want her kids to kiss her? So I try to kiss her hello and goodbye. Maybe next time I see her, I'll hold her hand.

Anonymous said...

that is so sweet, em. wow...

andrea said...

I love it! What a beautiful evening!

A girl who loves said...

Those types of moments you try to force yourself to remember. I am glad you wrote it down. When you look back at this post, you will remember this feeling.