Monday, July 30, 2007

Stories of Friends

OWEN

At church yesterday, I got to hold baby Owen (Kris' baby) for the better part of the church service. I was in heaven. Granted, he was a little squirmy and uncomfortable (tummy ache?) but it was fun to hold an infant.

After a half hour or so of his fussies, I finally admitted that I needed to call in backup. I saw my friend Jen Ellens and she quickly scooped little Owen into her arms. I'm not exaggerating when I say that he INSTANTLY went limp and fell asleep in her arms.

A consoling friend reminded me that Jen is still breast feeding her own son and that Owen felt more "comfortable". It's okay, Owen. I know I don't have a lot of padding there. Sorry, dude.

__________________________________________


ANNELISE

My friend Stephanie is moving. She and her family spent Saturday night at our place since their new living space wasn't quite ready. Steph's daughter Annelise is exactly 2 years younger than Morgan. They share an October 7 birthday.

Here's a photo of Morgan and Annelise snuggling in bed for a few minutes. Morgan would be a good older sister one day. Plus, she needs someone to boss around, someone to do her bidding. :)

__________________________________________

THOMAS

A few weeks ago I was teaching the 3 and 4 year olds in Sunday school. I was teaching them a story about Elisha and his rich friends who built a room JUST for him (2 Kings 4:8).

As I was teaching the story, one little boy, Thomas, was dissatisfied with the Bible's telling of the story because the rich couple are unnamed. I tried to plod on with the story, but Thomas had a different idea: "We should name them."

Realizing that resistance was futile, I quickly named the couple. I couldn't think quickly enough on my feet for true Biblical sounding names so I called them "Sally and Bob". Thomas grew a smile and sat contendedly on the floor as I continued the story of Elisha, Sally and Bob.

I tend to buck against extra biblical teaching, but since it meant that one little boy would be satisfied and hear the story better, I think God would approve.

2 comments:

Kris said...

Great stories! I love the picture of Annelise and Morgan! It's so good for girls to have buddies!
K

Short Stop said...

That's so funny about Thomas!