Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Gifts

For women, there are two schools of thought when it comes to receiving gifts on birthdays, anniversarys, etc. Some believe that they should gladly accept whatever their "prince charming" brings their way. Others subscribe to the notion that if you don't tell 'em what you want, you'll be sorry.

I fall in the second camp.

My sister married a man who came from a missionary family. They are a fantastic and fun loving crew. Most of their childhood memories did not come from worldly goods, however. It came from singing songs and games. My sister was quite shocked when she received for her first married Christmas something like a pair of socks. Meanwhile, she gave her husband the BEST Christmas ever with tons of games and clothes. It was she who warned me on the advent of MY first married Christmas that people come from different backgrounds; it might be good to talk about expectations.

Lest I sound too worldly, I want to add that for many years, Dan and I gave each other a heart felt card for Christmas or anniversarys. We were in the midst of graduate school and dependent on one income. Believe it or not, I still enjoy a really nice card, with or without gift. It means a great deal to me.

But a gift also has its place. It says "I know you". It says "I thought of you".

Next month is our 7th anniversary and my birthday. I'm not ashamed to say that I'm dropping hints like bowling balls. I'll say things like, "I have to go, honey. I have to WATCH Morgan. She's WATCHing a show now." Sometimes I'll even go so far as to say point blank, "I'd like a watch." We agreed early on in our relationship to be open with each other about these things. It sounds so selfish and, well, it is. I don't want to return things I don't want and neither does he.

So there you have it. You can call it selfishness, but I prefer to call it "gift predestination".

8 comments:

Short Stop said...

I can totally appreciate this, Em. I respect the way you two handle the holidays (I remember us shopping around the mall as you made a "suggestion" list for Dan!) I would tend to fall into the first camp, but Jason is one of the extraordinary men who has a knack for gift-giving. Otherwise, I would handle it more like you do!

Sheryl said...

I mistakenly said to my ex one year "don't get me anything" meaning, "a card would at least be nice, if not something heartfelt cuz you WANT to buy me a gift."
Guess what I got? Nuttin. Not even a card. D'oh!
Men don't typically think like we ladies do, so helpful hints I think are necessary!! (although sometimes they still don't help and you end up with a humidifier for Christmas! which I love by the way...shhhh)

andrea said...

what? you want a bowling ball?

Emily Dykstra said...

Sarah- Wow. You, my dear, are very fortunate.

Sheryl- *sigh* That's why we have to educate our male counterparts, isn't it? That's terrible. You'll have to ask Dan about the year he got me an anniversary card but it was for African American couples. That was weird.

Andrea- Yes, send me bowling balls. You nut.

Kris said...

I'm with you in the dropping hints. Carey is really good at bringing home misc. presents at random parts of the year. The other day he gave me a remote control after our last one broke. What a sweetie...

A girl who loves said...

I am laughing. Kurt bought me a pair of Mickey Mouse shorts the first valentines day we spent.

We decided to do something challenging for our anniversary gifts. We subscribe to the Modern and Traditional Gift list. I think our first anniversary guideline was Paper and Iron. I think I gave him Artwork and he gave me a skillet. Anyway, it makes it both helpful (for the guideline) and easy in a challenging way, and has a bit of meaning behind it.

BTW, the 7th anniversary is: Wool/Copper or Desk Sets. HMMMMM

A girl who loves said...

One of my favorite anniversary poem to you and Dan by George Elliot:

What greater thing
is there
for two human souls,
than to feel that they
are joined for life
to strengthen each other
in all labor,
to rest on each other
in all sorrow,
to minister to each other
in all pain,
and to be with each other
in silent
unspeakable memories.

Emily Dykstra said...

Oh wow. Thanks, Cari. That's a beutiful poem.

Em