Thursday, July 19, 2007

Park

Today Morgan and I went to the park. As it had thunderstormed heavily last night, we were unable to use some of the equipment, but with a little swoosh of the hand I was able to get some water off the slides.

On the playground there is a large discus which children can sit it, be twirled around in at great speed and, with any luck, lose their dinner. Because of its concave shape, the water from the rain last night naturally congregated to the middle. I watched with amusement as 4 elementary aged children tried to compensate for the water by clinging to the sides of the disc, avoiding the middle, as it flung around. The mother in me wanted to warn them, but there was entertainment to be had. Entertainment won the coin toss.

The children learned about centrifugal force. Within seconds of spinning themselves on the disc, the water made a mad dash up the backs and bodies of all the children on board. The girls screamed, the boys "arrrggghed" and I stood there with a devilish smirk on my face. Science class paid off.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeahhhh!!!! Science triumphs! Always nice to find someone who sees the humor in things like this. :)

Short Stop said...

Why does it not surprise me that Dan said, "Yeahhhh!!!" I'm sure he was grinning from ear to ear as he read this post!

Kris said...

And some day in science class, when this concept is being explained, the light bulb will come on, because they lived it!
K