Monday, July 2, 2007

Marriage

I made the mistake of reading a book which encouraged families to make traditions of their own. Realizing that I usually take the reins in this realm, I asked Dan if he'd like to make any traditions for 4th of July. Surprisingly, he took to the idea quickly.

We are now the proud new owners of fireworks.

He assures me that he grew up with these. I am trying to remain open-minded while taking precautions. I do recall being allow to play with some sparklers when I visited my grandparents in Pennsylvania as a child. I was scared of them which made the boys laugh. I hope Morgan exhibits similar behavior.

Then, in an effort to "interact" more in our marriage, I asked him to come up with some way that we could spend time together that did not involve the television. So he taught me poker last night. It was fun. I donned a doe-eyed expression throughout the evening to show my utter inexperience of the game. I think I'll use that as my poker face from now on. I nearly wiped all his chips out and then began betting much more riskily and less intelligently. In the end he won. Maybe I let him. :)

2 comments:

Kris said...

Good for you! I can't wait for that time again in the evening when all the kids are in bed! Right now...it's Owen patrol!
K

Short Stop said...

Date nights in bed in front of a movie...Jason watching, me asleep. Very familiar!