Monday, July 30, 2007

Encouragement

Today started off in a poopie sort of way. I was in a grumpy mood because Dan is gone out of town on business. (Yes, again.) The problem is that I adore this man and I'm pretty jealous of the time (or lack thereof) that I get to spend with him. I'm happy to say that we're on the up and up but that didn't change the way I felt this morning.

On the way to Wheaton this morn I was mind grumbling: thinking every possible negative thought about myself, my parenting, wondering if I even DESERVE another child, etc. Feeling pretty low, I hardly noticed the little voice in the back seat.

As if on cue, Morgan blurted out, "You did a good job, Mom!"

"What? What are you talking about Morgan?"

She expounded with this run-on sentence: "When we were at the beach and those boys took that toy from me and you said 'that belongs to my daughter' and you made them give it back to me and I was very proud of you."

An explanation is necessary: Months ago at the pool Morgan was playing with a water toy that two boys took from her. I told them it was hers and asked them to return it.

I was aghast that she remembered this. "You remembered this, Morgan?"

"Yep. I remembered. I was so proud of you."

Out of the mouth of babes. My grumpies left that instant and we went out for breakfast. What a great daughter I have.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Great story, Hon...sorry to be an absentee father and husband lately...looking forward to seeing you tomorrow night. :)

Sheryl said...

Wow!! God works in mysterious ways, huh??? He knew you needed a pick-me-up and a reminder that you ARE indeed a fantastic mother and wife and person and voila - a little quip from your child. How beautiful!!

andrea said...

Em, you are simply amazing. I admire you--a lot!

Emily Dykstra said...

Thanks Sheryl and Andrea!

Kris said...

Kids say the darndest things...just when we need them!
K

Short Stop said...

I thought I had posted on this one already. Oh well, kids must have distracted me...mid-typing.

How precious. I think it's amazing how God uses our children to show us our sin...but also, in this case, to point us to how good He is in using them to affirm our hard work.

I just love this little girl!