Friday, August 31, 2007

Emergency Room Visit Number 1

Oh man, do I feel badly.

This morning I was supposed to meet my friend Cathi and her children (Cailey and Nate) at the Cosley Zoo. It's a nice small zoo, but because it's so small (and because it's a free zoo) it has very few parking spaces.

So I found a parking spot this morning and opened the trunk to get Morgan's stroller (mostly to haul her stuff, not her). I was deeply in Mom-Zone-Outville when I used a great heft and slammed the trunk shut. But the trunk bounced back up. Apparently Morgan had seen fit to run around to the back of the car and managed to stick her head right in the trunk just as I put the lid down. I hit her square on the top of her noggin with the thin edge of the trunk.

Please, officer, arrest me now.

She paused for a second, dazed. Then she held her head with both hands and wept strongly.

I felt simultaneously angry at her and angry at me. Grrr. I used a lot of force to slam that trunk.

Called the pediatrician who told me to go directly to the emergency room. Said I may have fractured her skull. We took a trip to the E.R. and I'm pleased to announce that she is declared healthy and fine. Whew.

I took her to McDs (oh yes- TOTALLY out of guilt) and gave her nuggets, fries and a milkshake for lunch. Anything to make her day less ouchy.

As we got in and out of the car again, Morgan said to me, "Don't shut me in the door, Mom. Remember when you did that? Remember when you shut my head in the trunk? That was so funny."

Oooooo.

I tried not to tear up. "No. No, it was not funny, Morgan. Mommy is sorry."

When I had sufficiently begged her forgiveness, I told her that that is why we have to be careful in the street.

I'm sure that won't be our last visit to the E.R.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to give myself a time out.

5 comments:

A girl who loves said...

Oh, Em. It was an honest mistake. It could happen to any of us. Kids are quick and wiley. Rent her favorite movies and take it easy tomorrow. I am so glad everything is ok. It is ok to spoil her a little. Lots of kisses.

Short Stop said...

EM!!! Oh my. Your poor Momma! Kids are SO resilient, and she'll bounce back so quickly! And, so will you!

Max has fallen down a set of unfinished steps. Twice. UGH! I can only imagine him thinking during his second fall "Not this, again!"

Kris said...

OH Dear. She's a strong one and will be just fine. I glad she's ok and that you are, too. Josh always has a ton of bruises on his legs when we visit the doc and I'm sure one of these days they'll ask...Give her (and yourself) lots of love and know that it happens to everyone!
K

Sittintall said...

My heart goes out to you. I have certainly been their too. I turned around quickly and knocked Katie's head into the wall when she was 2 weeks old, took her to the ER, and thought the authorities would take her away. But they are resilient. Katie has fallen down the stairs too, along with eaten half a box of laxatives! I often wonder if she'll make it to her teens, but she's made it so far and currently has a clean bill of health. Thankfully she is okay.

Sittintall said...

I mean thank goodness Morgan is okay, and that kids are so resilient and forgiving.