Saturday, August 11, 2007

Morgan

Many of you have asked where Morgan's name came from and I thought I'd address it in this posting.

Okay, I lied. Nobody asked.

Many years ago (pre-Morgan years) Dan and I were at a dinner with some friends talking about baby names. We weren't even THINKING about having children yet, but Dan opined that he always thought "Morgan" was a pretty girl name. The name struck a chord in me. In true movie-like fashion, the rest of the conversation around the dinner table seemed to blur as I mouthed to my husband, "You like that name? I like that name, too!" We gave each other a goofy grin which indicated that we had just entered an unofficial pact.

What's more... we couldn't think of anyone bad named Morgan: Morgan Freeman. Morgan Fairchild. Good name.

A few years later as I was struggling to deliver our child into the world, Dan and I were told that we were about to have a baby boy. We were pretty disappointed about this for the sole reason that we weren't sold on our boy's name. I'm not even going to TELL you what the name is in case your dog, child, father, goldfish or husband is of the same name. Point is: we no likey the boy's name. We really likey the name Morgan.

We were both relieved that Morgan was a girl. In retrospect, Morgan is a unisex name and we could have used it for either gender. But I was hepped up on happy juice in the delivery room and Dan was one tired testosteroney. We weren't thinking too clearly.

It took me 32 years to like my own name, which I considered prissy. I wanted any daughter of mine to have a name that sounded strong and educated. Plus, in German her name means "morning" which I thought was beautiful. I'd be lying if I said that this German meaning had any bearing whatsoever on our choice of her name. Someone pointed that out to me after she was born and I nodded as if it was intentional.

To this day, I still enjoy saying her name. I've whispered it to her, screamed it at her, said it with gritted teeth and sang it to her in opera like fashion. I like it every time I say it no matter how I say it.

So there you have it. Now you know that I like to save face and the reasoning behind the name "Morgan".

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, I chose the name, "Morgan Kay Dykstra" as an homage to my love of Arthurian literature:

Morgan was King Arthur's half-sister.
Kay was King Arthur's foster brother.

Heheheheh

Kris said...

I like her name, too! It fits her well, strong, but sweet!
K

Emily Dykstra said...

Readers, disregard "tinmandan's" comment. He speaks untruth.

And if he is speaking the truth, then I get to name the next child, pet or piece of technology that comes in our house.

(I name technology. My ipod is named Oliver.)

Betty Miller said...

HEY-Emily is my favorite girls' name. ALan didn't like it thus, no Emily in my family...but I love the name (thank your mom- you had nothing to do with it).