Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Diary of a Fry Freak

What is my problem? Am I a Mastercard commercial waiting to happen?

I am willing to drive approximately 700 miles in the name of seeing family, going to the beach and reliving childhood memories. But secretly, I can't stop dreaming/thinking/salivating about Thrasher's French Fries.

They're not soft and mealy, but neither are they hard and undercooked. They're soft with crunch?

They're greasy, but not so much that you can't remember there is a potato in there.

And the cut size is not those cigarette slivers you get you fast food. Neither are they huge steak fries... they're just perfect.

Plus, they're salty. Just enough.

The owners refuse to carry ketchup with them because they are purists. Fries only come with vinegar.
You can only order fries and drinks at this venue. The fries come in three sizes. I love how one reporter described them: "Technically, the fries come in cups -- 16 ounces, 32 ounces and 53 ounces -- but the largest looks suspiciously like a bucket."

Don't get me wrong... I want to see my family and go to the beach and get sand in my bathing suit, but I haven't had these fries in about, gulp, 8 years.

And let me tell ya something... if we end up getting to Ocean City, MD, forget the 16 oz cup, I'm getting the whole shebang.

Gas for the roadtrip: $300
Hotel for the night: $150
Bucket of fries to relive childhood: Priceless

6 comments:

Short Stop said...

Oh, that picture is sheer torture.

EVERY time we go back we get them. I would never go to O.C. and leave without a belly full of them.

Vinegar is the only way to go. I do, however, use the Old Bay they provide as well. Dip fry in side dish of vinegar, and then on napkin containing mound of Old Bay.

I am actually sitting here trying to figure out a way to get to MD this summer now. :)

andrea said...

Indulge yourself! And, have a fantastic time!

A girl who loves said...

Sounds like an official craving to me.

Sittintall said...

That sounds heavenly. Enjoy (baby eat up!)

Kris said...

Mmmmm....do you think I would fit in your suitcase? I think it sounds like baby likey fries, too!
K

Jenni S. said...

They sound wonderful! If the chances of me getting to Ocean City anytime soon were slim, the chances of me getting one of those tasty treats is even slimmer with a daughter allergic to peanuts. Sigh. It's like my love affair with Chick-fil-a: it came to a sad end when we discovered Anna's allergy. Sob, sob. So next time you're there, savor one for me.