Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Fourth

One of my favorite holidays is approaching: Fourth of July.

I just love it. The Americana. The celebration. The hoopla. Fireworks.

It's a great big birthday party for every American.

Last year I made a sinful cake: yellow cake with chocolate buttercream frosting. REAL buttercream frosting. Butter. And cream.

Then we went to see fireworks. We were new to the neighborhood so we didn't know quite where to go. But then we saw the lights just a few blocks away. They had fireworks in our neighborhood! We piled in the car and went to watch them a block away.

We didn't notice that not many people attended the fireworks. We did notice the police car that pulled up quickly. Suddenly young people were scampering everywhere. The fireworks stopped. Dan and I gave each other that raised-eyebrow look, started the car unsuspiciously and drove away. I guess the fireworks were rather small for a town this big.

This year I bought some patriotic bunting.
I also bought a plastic American flag to hang on the window. Morgan keeps calling it the "Irish flag" but we'll straighten her out. I taught her about the 50 stars and we counted the stripes. I laughed deviously as I remembered that Maryland is one of the 13 original colonies, thus the reason for the 13 stripes.

I don't know what we'll do this year, but I bought some lightsticks and intend on having some fun.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Naperville has great fireworks and there is music played in sync with them. You just bring a radio and tune it to 95.9 FM and listen along as the fireworks go off. It's great! I plan to go if you'd like to join me. Just let me know. :-)

Anonymous said...

My favorite holiday is the 4th of July too! Our dad puts on a great party late in the evening where everyone brings a dish to pass and great smiles. Dad has toys galore for the kiddies, games for the adults, sparklers at dusk and in the past few years, an awesome fireworks show, complete with music!! It's a grand ol' time and he's been doing it for at least 20 years :)
Hope you find a good party and fireworks this year!
Sheryl

Short Stop said...

Party on! I love the 4th, too. Jason's family was SO into it that it was contagious and got me hooked, too. I want to celebrate it in Williamsburg, VA one year!

Kris said...

Mmmm....I'm still thinking about that cake....