Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Morganisms

I'm on the phone with a customer. (I do some freelance graphics on the side.) I've given Morgan an entire apple to eat while I'm on the phone, but it wasn't enough.

Morgan: "Excuse me, Mom."

Emily: I'm giving her an index finger "halt" while I continue to sound chipper and try to sound undistracted.

Morgan: "Excuse me, Mom. Excuse me, Mom. Excuse me, Mom..."

Finally, I ask the customer to hold.

Emily: "Morgan, sweetie, I'm on the phone. I'll talk to you in a few minutes, okay?"

Morgan: "But I said 'excuse me'."

And in true, preschool fashion, she proceeded to do what every kid does when their mother is on the phone: She drew on my notes, she twirled my Rolodex and wriggled her little body in the swivel chair next to my big derriere. The phone conversation quickly drew to a close. :)

What is it with kids and phones?

_____________________________________


Morgan: "Mom!!! Mom!!!!" (Morgan was screaming from another room.)

Emily: "What's the matter, Morgan?"

Morgan: "I tooted!"

Lovely. Thanks for sharing.

_____________________________________

Emily: "Want to talk to the baby?

Morgan: "Hi, baby," she says to my stomach.

(pause) "I hope you're a sister."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Em -- the phone comment is oh so true! Ethan screeches at me until I put the phone on speaker. I guess he thinks he needs to be a part of every conversation. Then Ethan tries to eat the phone, and finally does a pretty good job of hanging up on folks. He loves to push the buttons. Poor Grandma and Grandpa have been hung up on multiple times!!

Short Stop said...

Oh, the phone. I use it as little as possible because both boys do the exact same thing.

I read once that having a special shoebox of toys/random things that they only get to play with when you're on the phone is a great way to handle it! Just an idea (that I have yet to get organized enough to do).

Awww...she wants a sister. I'm still trying to decide what I think you're having...give me a few more weeks! Ok, I'll know by our vaca. ;)

Sittintall said...

I try and hide in another room, so I can be alone on the phone (as to avoid the inevitable "excuse me"), however they seem to have mommy radar, because they always find you.

Jenni S. said...

How is it they can be perfectly content doing any number of things until you're on the phone and then it's as if they haven't seen you in weeks and need all your attention.

Slightly related: We just plugged the phone in in the playroom and everytime it rings Anna looks at it and runs over saying, "Mommy, someone's calling my room."