Thursday, June 5, 2008

Face it

Yesterday we had our last fertility doc appt. It was surprisingly celebratory. In the world of fertility docs, apparently 12 weeks is considered "full term". They won't say "full term", but my ob-gyn doc gave me the scoop and told me that that's what they say at doctor parties.

My ob-gyn was right. Yesterday, my fertility doc said "Congratulations!" and smiled largely. Eight weeks ago, she would hardly smile and was very "professional". I can understand.

What's more, something really special happened at the ultrasound. We saw the baby's face. I saw the little nose, some budding lips and eyelids. It was the first time since I've been pregnant that... forgive me for saying this... that I've had a fond thought for this little one. Before it looked like a blob on a screen and I had a hard time wrapping my brain around the actuality of it all.

I'm not the only one... Morgan drew a picture of the baby the other day. It was a black and white painting and the baby had no face. She's used to seeing our ultrasound "blob" photos, too. I asked her where the face was and she said that "it hasn't grown one yet".

But there it was. A face. Pretty amazing.

Below is an approximate image of what a 3D would look like of it... it's from babycenter.com.

5 comments:

Short Stop said...

God is SO faithful and SO good. I can only imagine how you must feel getting to this point.

I am celebrating with you today, my friend.

Keep growing, little one. You are so very loved.

Sittintall said...

Congratulations!! I am so happy that you were able to see the little one's face. What a joy. Hope you have a great weekend reveling in this hopeful little one.

Jenni S. said...

Yay baby! We will keep praying that the little one is safe and healthy and coming to a maternity ward near you. :)

Kris said...

Oh Em, congratulations is just not a big enough word here. We are just so grateful to God for this gift. Oh, and to see its face...sigh. HUGS!
K

trevsmom said...

Congratulations friend, indeed lets throw a 12 week party. Hey I am all about that one. Does 12 weeks feel like full term to you? I am hoping and praying that the yuckies will be on there way out, after all don't they know they ARE NOT welcome past the 12 week mark! :-) Enjoy the miracle my friend!