Monday, June 23, 2008

Girl Talk

Yesterday I had an amazing conversation with my sister, Noel. Normally we bombard each other with girl talk: friends we love, friends we struggle with, good recipes, husband talk, outfits that went horribly wrong, etc. Yesterday wasn't much of an exception, (except) that when she asked what was shaking down in the Dykstra household, I had to think a moment.

It's not that I didn't have news. I had plenty. It's mostly that the news that rose to the surface of my mind first was the juicy kind that borders on gossip, the kind of news that doesn't always bring out the best in others or bring out the best in life and gives me that sour milk taste in my mouth after saying it. Not all the news was gossip, per se, but just, you know... negative stuff.

My artistic roots normally thrive on the dark, deep meanings of life, but I didn't want to talk about these things. I didn't want to wrestle with deep cultural issues or analyze words said in haste. I didn't want to express disappointment or talk about my silly sickness. I didn't want to give voice to the not-so-great thoughts in my head that might put them in hers. I wanted those thoughts to vanish.

So for a few moments as I was searching my mind for something to tell her, I was honestly struggling with what to say. At first I cobbled together a few lame stories about, oh-I-can't-remember... Dan's travels or a few quasi-interesting Morgan stories. But then, as she told me about my funny nephew and his 4-year old birthday party, the conversation started flowing. It trickled at first, but then we were nearly interrupting each other with topic tennis, laughing at human behavior and the world of children.

Eventually we talked about a few issues with life, but they weren't dwelled upon. We didn't really gloss over them, just kind of stripped them of their sting and left them in Someone's hands who are far greater.

Today there will be too much mail for my liking. But there will also be fun blogs to read.

There will be smells that send my pregnancy schnoz to the moon. But there will also be cupcakes.

And, most likely, the gas prices won't drop the $2.00 a gallon I'd like them to. I'll still drive.

If I'm brave, I'll strain out the good from the not-good and see a world worth enjoying. It may come as a trickle at first, but there's bound to be a flood of good.

2 comments:

Short Stop said...

One of the things that I love most about you is that you speak so intentionally. Not that you are never silly, or giddy...cause I've surely seen that many times - late night cruise ship perhaps?

BUT, the fact that you choose your words...I notice it. And, I admire that in you.

Jenni S. said...

Good for you for resisting a VERY easy temptation that we all go through. There is so much yuck in the world already, but hopefully enough good that we can find to talk about that instead.