Sunday, June 22, 2008

Funny Story

Last Friday I went to the closing ceremony of Morgan's week at Vacation Bible School.
Translation: 10,000 kids yelling, singing and craning their necks to see their parents in a crowded auditorium.

I was sitting in the back row with Beth, whose children also went to this week of school.
During their singing time, I noticed that Morgan was craning her neck but couldn't see me.

I snuck up behind her between songs, tugged at her clothes (somewhat scaring her) and said, "Morgan! I'm in the back seat and I'm watching you!"

But I think she heard this: "Morgan Kay! I am in the back row and I am WATCHING you, girl. Be good."

I went back to my seat and waved at her.

Her eyes found mine. And unlike the 9,000 other children who actually waved furiously to their parents in delight, she stuck out her tongue and starting spitting raspberries. Her brow was furrowed and she was ticked.

Strange.

I wave again and smiled broadly.

More spitting.

I gave her two thumbs up and mouthed "I'm proud of you!"

The result was the same: ticked, ticked, ticked.

I gave up in case people started to connect the spitting child with me. Plus, some kids up front were probably getting showered.

As I stood next to Beth, coveting the fact that her twin boys were actually glad to see their mother and waving at her, I just had to laugh. Of course I would have the one weirdo child who did not want to wave to their parent.

I didn't even try to analyze this behavior. After the show, she was happy to see me.

I'm SO glad I'm having another child.

1 comment:

Jenni S. said...

I've got my own little spitfire)s) here. So I guess this is what I have to look forward to, huh? :)